Northern Tea Merchants has taken another step on our journey to carbon neutrality. We have identified a sustainable energy project with which we will be able to offset 500 tonnes of carbon emissions which covers all of our scope 1, 2 & 3 emissions for the year.
Scope 1 emissions cover:
- The gas that we use at Northern Tea Merchants to heat our premises and roast your coffee.
- Plus the fuel that we use in our company vehicles for all our activities.
Scope 2 emissions cover:
- The electricity we have used throughout the premises, lighting, IT and running our blending machines for example.
Scope 3 emissions cover all:
- Logistics to bring tea, coffee and cocoa into our premises and any haulier’s we use.
- Our packaging (this is includes recyclable, biodegradable and non-recyclable).
- Northern Tea Merchants tea, coffee and cocoa supplies – a surprising amount of carbon dioxide is created in the nurture and growth of all of the products we sell.
- Our staffs daily commute to and from work.
- Any business travel we have done (for example trips to shows or exhibitions or to origin to visit producers etc).
- The waste that we generate and all of the water we use.
At the time of writing we have made the investment and will have paperwork and full details of the project to be able to share with you next month. This is in addition to our current offset scheme where for every web order that is placed we plant a Mangrove tree in Madagascar.